Statement of Values of the Faculty and Staff of the Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics
- We value the Land Grant Mission that seeks to provide (1) citizen access to higher education regardless of wealth or social status, (2) excellent instruction in the knowledge and capabilities needed by students for the professions and careers important to society, and (3) a strengthened democratic system and citizenry through programs of education, research and outreach/extension. In all this, our first obligation is to serve the people of Michigan.
- We value a strong commitment to work effectively and diligently to accomplish our Land Grant mission of helping people -- both off-campus and on-campus.
- We value equally teaching, research , and outreach/extension activities. We recognize that effective integration of these functions is essential for providing high quality, relevant programs, both domestic and international.
- We value the entire continuum of disciplinary, subject matter and problem-solving knowledge all of which are essential for the success of the Department, College and University missions.
- We value the flexibility to adjust our programs and mix of programs to address changing societal problems in a timely and useful manner.
- We value involvement in international teaching, research, and outreach programs. These activities inform our domestic efforts and enable us to address important problems and opportunities in Michigan's food, agriculture and natural resource sectors.
- We value, as part of our covenant with a democratic society, our responsibility for human and natural resource stewardship; our commitment to diversity within community; and the contributions made to the intellectual vitality and relevance of the Department and the College by those served.
- We value academic freedom and its responsible exercise.
- We value intellectual diversity and heterogeneity in faculty composition.
- We value initiative by faculty in creating and managing activities that generate external support, whether contracts, grants or appropriated funds.
- We value collaborative and individual efforts. We recognize the increasing importance of collaborative efforts in our response to society's problems and needs